One day at a time.
Day 2. Vail gets up at like 6:30. She is so excited talking nonstop. Today I am not walking her to class I am just dropping her off. I feel really good about this because this is what I did in preschool. No big deal right? Wrong! First let me say I am really happy with Vail's school drop off/pick up system. I feel like it is smooth and safe. That being said we are in line for drop off. There is a couple of teachers and then some of the 5th graders that are helping get the kiddos out of the car. Next group of cars pulls around. We are like the last car in this group which means we are the furthest from the door. Car door opens Vail gets her backpack and gives me a kiss and gets out. This is when she begins to look so tiny to me. She is standing on this HUGE sidewalk waiting for this 5th grader to walk her to the door. But wait the 5th grader isn't walking her to the door. She is on her own. She is looking around and I am in a panic. She doesn't know where to go. I have to drive off because its the car line and you can't just sit there and watch your BABY walk to the door. It was horrible. I immediately went to see Mindy and we bawled our eyes out (sorry Mindy) because it was way worse than day 1. I pretty much cried all day because I felt like she was scared (which she wasn't) and basically like I had let her out in life to fend for herself at the tender age of 6. Soooo....3:00 school calls me again. I know right. The lady informs me that everything is ok but they wanted to know how Vail was getting home. Umm...I will be picking her up. Me. So this is weird. Fast forward 30 minutes Vail is getting in the car and she says to me..."Mom they would not let me ride the school bus today." Me: "Vail did you tell them you were supposed to ride the school bus"
Vail: "yes, then they said they called you and you said no"
Apparently she told them she could ride the bus and she was so convincing that they had to call and ask me if this was true.
One day at a time.
Day 3. So far there have been no tears. I basically grilled her on the way there and as we drove through the line about where the door was that she was supposed to go in. It was totally so I would feel better and know that she really did know where she was going. I know she thinks I am crazy. It has been eerily quiet around the house. I knew that it would be but not in the way that it is. Does that make since? I miss her in a way that I did not realize I would. It is strange. (Now I should erase the "so far there have been no tears :) )
Today I took the other monkeys to the mall to play on the "tree". We were the only ones there for a bit. Katy stood on the tent and sang Jingle Bells at the top of her lungs. I laughed. Soon a little black girl showed up with the most perfect little pigtail puffs on the top of her head. She looked so cute. Micah said "Mickey Mouse mom". In his defense they were the most perfect Mickey Mouse ears on a little girl I have seen. We came home and ate lunch. Katy asked me if I missed Vail. I said yes. She said me too. This is hard.
One day at a time.
Random funny story. Micah and Katy are playing on our playset outside last night. I need something from the back of the house. I check on them. They are fine. I get to the back of the house and I hear Katy in a calm voice saying "mom Micah is hanging from the monkey bars." What! Mom runs looks out the door and sure enough there is my 2 year old crying and hanging from the monkey bars. I run out there and get him down. He stops crying and says "I did it! all by myself"
Seriously. Don't these kids know what I have been through these past few days? Props to Micah for holding on long enough for Katy to run to the house and for me to run out of the house. Umm...can anyone say muscles?!





2 comments:
This has been a very traumatic week for you, Jen.
I am so glad that she is loving school! I know it is hard- and I wish I could say it gets easier. You have raised her well, and she is one amazing lady! Thinking and praying for you!
Post a Comment